Wednesday, February 20, 2008

*Corey's Birthday




It was August 23, 2006 at 10pm, the air was hot and sticky, and I was going to pop at any moment! Literally pop, I thought. At 3 days shy of my due date with Corey, and having had contractions continually for almost a week, I had had enough! That morning I had gone to my regular check up with the OB and I think he may have actually had some pity for me. He said “Be at the hospital at 10pm tonight, we’ll get this done”. Oh, what a relief…I couldn’t wait, the baby had his eviction notice and I would be at least 15 pounds lighter by tomorrow I thought.

Yeah, well, Corey had other ideas. He was comfortable in there. I think he may have even rearranged ‘furniture’ to make himself some more room. He was in it for the long haul. Not even budging a little. So, the more stubborn he got, the more aggressive the nurses and doctor got…..that equals me becoming a complete lunatic!! I was so calm and collected with the other two; I thought I was a pro at this.

I was only dilated to a three and stuck, and now it was Friday the 25th. This was the day that no one in that room had signed up for! The nurses checked and said that they would be back in a couple hours to cram their whole arm inside of me to check again. About 10 minutes later, after I had all but given up, I told Joe I had to push. The nurse came in and said that I must have to go to the bathroom, because it wasn’t near close enough to have me push. I asked her to please, please take a peek. She SLOWLY and reluctantly put on some gloves and meandered over to the end of my bed to appease me. She pulled up the sheet and after her mouth dropped open and eyes about pooped out of her head, she put the sheet down and gathered up the ‘crew’. FINALLY, it was time!

At the hospital with me was, Joe, and my sister, Corianne. My best friend Shelly was to be called when it was ‘time’ due to her being at work. Well, it was ‘time’, so Joe called Shelly and said “get over here quick”. No one would let me push, so here I was waiting and waiting…I mean, the time I had been working toward this past 2 days was here, and I couldn’t push??!! UGH!!!! 15 minutes pass and I think, I could have been done by now. Right about then, Shelly rushes through the door and the doctor arrives. It was time now, no more waiting. I’m a pro at pushing and out he’ll pop. Or so I thought!

Joe is at my left, Shelly is at my right, and my poor sister is at the Dr’s right in full view of my glory, camera and all!! What happens next, proves what strong and unconditionally loving, my friend and family are. I’m laying almost flat on my back, pushing away, I tell the nurse that I should be sitting up more, cause that’s how I did with the other two and they were out in just a few pushes! Nope, she says, it’s better this way! Ugh….I felt like I was pushing a Buick up a hill. Right at that moment, I see a look of confusion and denial on Joe’s face. He shoots his eyes towards my sister who, camera in hand, has the same look. Joe then looks to Shelly; someone to say it’s just his imagination. She has a huge smile on her face that does not even let up and quickly nods her head in affirmation. I think what? What? What has happened? Why are they acting so weird? Then the smell hit me! Oh no!! No, way!! Yup, I did, I pooped!! Joe tried to bury his nose in his underarm, but he didn’t want to hurt my feelings. So, they all stood there strong. The nurse did look to my sister and say; “I wouldn’t take a picture if I were you”.

Right after that episode was cleaned up, what more could there possibly be, right?? Wrong!! About that time, the doc decided to take out the catheter that I had, right in the middle of a push!! Yup, you guessed it!! I peed all over the doctor and nurse! The only thing I could say was sorry. What else was I to do?

I finally said firmly that I needed to be raised up so I could push more effectively. The nurse agreed and sat me up. Two pushes later, and there was Corey. All wrinkly, red and pimply, but he was so perfect. Every minute of those agonizing, couple days was worth it.

Joe, Shelly, and Corianne shared more with me that day than they had hoped for, but I wouldn’t have it any other way! I am still reminded of this wonderful experience often, and I smile with pride!! Poop and all, it was a great day!

Corey was born at 5:31pm on August 25, 2006. He was 19 inches long and weighed 6lbs, 13oz, before pooping all over the nurse!!

No comments:

Post a Comment