Wednesday, February 20, 2008

*OK, I admit it




I once was asked to say something good about myself that no one else knew about. I knew what I could say, what I wanted to say, but I was embarrassed. I quickly thought of a back up good trait. I was scared that if I said I was an in the closet hero, people would think I was a sucker! OK, so I am sometimes, I’ll admit, but that doesn’t stop my quest to be a hero! I really do have a huge heart, for people, animals and even inanimate objects that I swear have feelings too. Joe says that he realized I was the one for him when one day, an out of the blue rainfall poured down as we were driving. At a street corner, there was an elderly couple walking hand in hand in the pouring rain. I wanted to pull over and give them my umbrella. At that moment, Joe fell in love.

I have given money to those who seem to need it, even when I really don’t have any to spare. I have taken in and cared for people and animals even when they don’t appreciate it, but yet I still keep going. That endearing quality I had 6 years ago, has since become a roll the eyes, “you did what?” type thing. I can’t help it. That poor dog outside in 20-degree weather and one eye that is closed shut, makes me want to cry! I want to make him better, feed him and make him warm, but he won’t let me near him. So every day, I feed him and attempt to bribe him with little treats just so he’ll come close enough to me so I can see his poor, painful eye. I never succeed in even touching him, but I think if I keep it up, he too will fall in love!

Every week on the news, they profile a child that needs a home. Some are quiet, some are full of life, and some are siblings, all looking to have a home together. I don’t care what their ages or races are, I want every last one of them. I try, often, to convince Joe that somehow we could make it work…all we need is a bigger house and tons of money for adoption….I know it would be great!! I would be like the ‘little old lady who lived in a shoe’!!

We pulled things out of our old barn from years past. Things that did not belong to us and had no value to us personally, but somehow, I felt responsible for these things. We couldn’t just burn these memories from other people that have somehow left them here, so out they came, into our shed, safe and sound from the fire. I felt like these things deserved a home too. Just another example of my save the world, no matter what a sucker I look like, but couldn’t have it any other way life!

So, I’ve lived in the closet for a long time, and now it’s time to come out! I AM A HERO!!!! At least that’s what I tell myself. There are a lot of closet heroes in my life! I will not ‘out them’, they know who they are! I just want to let them know that they inspire me to be this hero! I don’t want a prize for my acts of random kindness; I just want others to feel empowered to do the same. There is nothing like that feeling of a heart melting….give it a try, you’ll see!

Well, that’s it for now, I have to go feed the one eyed dog, dream up plans for my one day adopted kids, and wash my hero costume!

No comments:

Post a Comment